Bolesławiec authorities decided on the founding of the City Museum in 1908. The construction was supervised by P. Gansel, according to the design by the city architect E. Balzer. The museum, open to the public in 1911, was active until the end of the World War II. It was reopened in 1953 and since 1967 it has been called the Museum of Ceramics, and from scratch started gathering collections of ceramics Bolesławiec and Europe ceramics. Currently, the collection consists of about 6000 exhibits.